This coming school year will be the 50th year for SYC. Can you believe it? Started by Janet Stocker and Lee Row with two classes, 42 children and six teachers, SYC has grown to nine classes, 147 children, and 15 teachers. Over the last 50 years, however, SYC’s philosophy has stayed the same: that the foundation of all learning is social and emotional development through play, within a context of loving, respectful relationships.
We are proud of who we are as a school and a community, and would like to invite you to celebrate with us throughout our 50th year at the following events:
Alumni Family Play Date & Open House
- Friday, Sept 28, 5:30-7:30
- Current and alumni families of all ages
- Indoor and outdoor activities
- Visit the Classrooms
- Photos of SYC classes through the years
- Family Sing-Along of SYC Songs
- Contact email@example.com if you would like to help or have ideas. We would love to have:
- A photographer for the evening
- Someone to arrange for two food trucks (we have one connection already)
- Help with set-up/clean-up
- Ideas for outside activities that are open-ended and good for all ages
SYC Scholarship Auction
Friday, November 9
All funds are earmarked for scholarships
Please consider donating goods or services
Come to bid, buy, and have fun!
Monetary donations also gratefully accepted through our website www.syccolumbus.org. Please note “SYC Scholarship” in box.
Parenting Post-SYC: A Special Parent Ed
- Wednesday, Feb. 13, 7:00-8:30
- A panel discussion featuring SYC Parent Alumni and Teachers
- Q&A about how to parent “SYC-style” as your children get older
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in helping out with the evening and/or being on the panel.
Maybe a Spring Event – Let us know if you have ideas!
We’d like to put together a video of current and former students, teachers and families to share at our various events. If you’d like to participate, please send a 1-min video clip to email@example.com answering the question: What does SYC mean to you?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to help with any of the 50th anniversary events or if you have ideas about how to make them better.
Publicize the events with current/former SYC families you know and encourage them to attend.
Let us know if you have ideas for a spring event…!